Route update and approximate timings:
- Dublin July 29th Depart North Wall 12:15
- London that evening Pre Rally drinks
- London July 30th Hyde Park all cars assemble at the start line, (for the first and probably last time)
- That evening ferry to France
- Hope to hit Prague Evening of July 31st First Check Point
- Here the rally splits three ways, we go south.
- Initial route plan from Prague was Slovakia,Hungary,Romania, Serbia,Bulgaria, Turkey and Checkpoint Byzantium - (Istanbul) Aug 2nd or 3rd
- Then across Iran, however we did not manage to get the visa for Iran so now we head North East from Turkey to Azerbaijan and take a ferry across the Caspian Sea originally to Turkmenistan, here again we have had visa problems so we get a more northerly ferry direct to Kazakhstan we hope!.
- Then down into Uzbekistan where the three routs converge at Samarkand
on the ancient silk route.
- Samarkand to Tsagaannuur via Mountains of Kyrgyzstan and into
Kazakhstan then north to the Russian border, then south into Mongolia to the
next Checkpoint at Tsagaannuur in North Western Mongolia
- Tsagaannuur to Ulaan Baatar where we hope to arrive for a black tie
reception in the desert on August 26th.
The Rally Challenge: travel 1/3 of the way around the earth, from Dublin then join the Rally in London and on to Mongolia in a crap car that has an engine with no more than 1,000cc.
We will start in Dublin on July 29th and join the rest of the lunatics on Saturday the 30th of July in London.
The race is approximately 10,000 miles, starting from London and finish near the Mongolian capital Ulaan Bataar about three weeks later. The route is broken into three legs which vary in length, with an optional stop off at the end of each to catch some much needed rest. Our back up team isn't just small, it doesn't exist. Travelling light is the order of the day. We want to be as unladen as possible, so if we have to swap our broken car for a bicycle in the middle of the desert, we can carry on with out much difficulty.
We have decided to take the southern route as they say in Dublin "it looks deadly" I really hope that?s not the case.
So our target route is now:
- Czech Republic
- And finally home via China!!!